- Every KC mathematics teacher is passionate about mathematics, and this passion permeates into the life-force of each KCian
- Our passion is seen in our zeal to help our girls see the relevance of mathematics with their surroundings, and unlock their potential to be innovative problem solvers and lifelong learners.
Experience - Mathematics Learning Experiences
Learning Experiences (LEs) influence the ways teachers teach and students learn. Students perform actions and activities with created opportunities under the guidance of teachers. LEs afford students the opportunities to:
1. enhance conceptual understanding through use of various mathematical tools including ICT tools
2. apply concept and skills learnt in real-world context
3. communicate their reasoning and connections through various mathematical tasks and activities;
Enrich & Extend - Mathematical Modelling Activities, Training and Participation in Competitions
Apart from acquiring mathematics concepts and skills, we enrich our girls learning by exposing them to fun-filled and meaningful activities, and for studens who are more keen and ready, we extend their learning by exposing them to higher order thinking and challenge them to pit their knowhow in selected competitions. Such opportunities seek to advance our students in the following areas: (i)reasoning and communication, (ii) application and modelling, and (iii) thinking skills and problem solving heuristics.
Collaboration - with MOE Mathematics Unit and with the Academy of Singapore Teachers (AST)
We are proud to collaborate with MOE and AST to help our students Improve their Confidence and Achievment in Numeracy (ICAN) in Mathematics. ICAN focuses on resource development and professional development of teachers, together with the school’s support, to better conceptualise Maths lessons. With the necessary skills and competencies to diagnose and scaffold learning, as well as a deeper understanding on how to activate long term memory, lesson plans were crafted to better suit students’ learning styles. These increases students’ engagement and strengthens their mathematical processes, while at the same time make the learning of Maths fun and enjoyable.